Lance B. Joiner
1201 Louisiana St. | Suite 1000
Houston, Texas 77002
713.737.8203 | (Fax) 713.528.0877
Lance's practice focuses on advising major and independent operators in a variety of upstream and midstream matters, including acquisitions and divestitures of producing and nonproducing assets, mineral and leasehold ownership disputes, interpretation of deeds and other instruments of conveyance, lease analysis, title curative procedures, pooling, regulatory issues, and leasing issues.
Lance has drafted and reviewed hundreds of title opinions, including drilling, division order, and supplemental title opinions in plays across the country. He has supervised teams of attorneys working in conjunction with independent and in-house landmen to conduct extensive title examination and acquisition diligence regarding producing and nonproducing assets.
Prior to joining the firm, Lance worked as an associate with a large Houston-based oil and gas law firm and as a petroleum landman.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Houston Association of Professional Landmen
- Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Young Professionals in Energy
- Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- West Houston Association of Professional Landmen
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Life Member, University of Texas Exes
- Ohio State Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- Oil and Gas Deed Interpretation, Houston Association of Division Order Analysts Luncheon at the Petroleum Club of Houston (October 2018).
- Yours, Mine, and Ours - Operating Agreements and the Parties they Govern, Operating Agreements in Oil and Gas, Half Moon Education (October 2015).
- The Inherent Ambiguity of Instrument Interpretation or - How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love not being Omniscient, State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education Seminar (August 2012).
- Clarifying the Parties Intent - Grains of Clarity in a Desert of Interpretive Confusion, State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education Seminar (November 2010).